We met with the PSU administration last Friday, January 6th, and continued to push for the basic information we need to represent our members. Throughout our negotiations so far, PSU has characterized GAs as students first, employees second, usually to justify why they are hesitant to give us information we need for bargaining or negotiate issues relevant to our employment at PSU. Last term we asked PSU for key information we need for bargaining. There have been many unfulfilled commitments and delays, but we’re cautiously optimistic to report that they have committed to deliver the most important information by next week.
So far, we’ve agreed to discuss non-economic contract topics in this order:
- Workload, assignments, notice and eligibility of appointment, class size, summer term appointments
- Discipline, grievance, and arbitration
- Orientation, training
- Union – rights, dues, eligibility, etc.
- University rights
- Health welfare, workplace safety, family issues, childcare
- Work location, work conditions, accessibility
- Use of university resources, library
- Intellectual property and academic freedom
List of bargaining dates for upcoming term:
We’ll follow up with locations for these meetings next week. If you see issues you’re passionate about in this list, get in touch with us!
The GEU Bargaining Team – Andrés, Emily, Forrest, Neal, and Ted